Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.

Fleur du Mal - Burlesque Artist

Random musings, inspirations, and creations from the Bad Flower of British burlesque
Mar 20 '12
Phase two of costuming: pieces of appliqué sewn on to nude bodysuit.  This is the most difficult part of the process.  The bodysuit is made of a stretchy fabric and in sewing on the appliqués this must be taken into account - otherwise, when the suit is put on, the fabric will distort.  Holding the fabric slightly stretched at all times while sewing is tricky, so I used a trick I picked up from another showgirl and used an embroidery frame to keep it taut.  I arranged the pieces of appliqué on the front of the suit whilst actually wearing it, and pinned them in place.  This gave me a great opportunity to see where the pieces looked best - and of course, where they could be placed so as to add subtle coverage on stage.  I used most of the pieces on the suit, but I kept a couple of pieces aside for use on a headpiece, and some of the smaller pieces ended up being so fiddly that it was pointless to use them.  The bodysuit itself is nude coloured but it has a subtle gold shimmer running through it.  The metallic gold appliqués look wonderful against it, and under stage lights it’s going to look beautiful!

Phase two of costuming: pieces of appliqué sewn on to nude bodysuit.  This is the most difficult part of the process.  The bodysuit is made of a stretchy fabric and in sewing on the appliqués this must be taken into account - otherwise, when the suit is put on, the fabric will distort.  Holding the fabric slightly stretched at all times while sewing is tricky, so I used a trick I picked up from another showgirl and used an embroidery frame to keep it taut.  I arranged the pieces of appliqué on the front of the suit whilst actually wearing it, and pinned them in place.  This gave me a great opportunity to see where the pieces looked best - and of course, where they could be placed so as to add subtle coverage on stage.  I used most of the pieces on the suit, but I kept a couple of pieces aside for use on a headpiece, and some of the smaller pieces ended up being so fiddly that it was pointless to use them.  The bodysuit itself is nude coloured but it has a subtle gold shimmer running through it.  The metallic gold appliqués look wonderful against it, and under stage lights it’s going to look beautiful!